Tuesday, March 25, 2008

About next season

I'm very angry. It looks list it's true: No Ruth Ann Swenson at the Met.



But the world goes on.That time has come when every opera fan must begin to consider their plans for this fall; what to see and where to go.

A few things stick as points of interest for the coming season and I’m sure that the entire blog community will take time to get to the opera houses and hear a few productions. Today the OPERA in AMERICA blog is proud to name the most important productions in America in the Autumn Season.

Manon – Chicago Lyric Oprea
September 27 – October 31, 2008
The world’s most famous coloratura Natalie Dessay will team up with my favorite young tenor Jonas Kauffman for Massenet’s masterpiece.


Don Giovanni: Metropolitan Opera

September 27, 2008 – April 24, 2009
Erwin Schrott leads a glorious cast which includes the likes of Barbra Frittoli, Susan Graham, Matthew Polenzani and Samuel Ramey. A special treat will be Peter Mattei who will round out the performances as the Don.

Porgy and Bess – Chicago Lyric Opera
November 18 – December 19
The lyric opera seems to draw me into operas which I normally hate by providing stellar casts and this Porgy is no exception. A lineup of today’s finest African-American singers will be led by Gordon Hawkins – who I believe to be the finest working dramatic baritone of our age – as Porgy together with names such as the stunning Lisa Daltirus, future star Laquita Mitchell and established goddess Marietta Simpson.

As much as I hate Progy and Bess, the Lyric can expect a visit from me in December.

La Gioconda – Metropolitan Opera
September 24, 2008 - October 9, 2008
Two words: "Suicidio!” and Voigt…

Add Olga Borodina, and Ewa Podles and you have me there.

2 comments:

Will said...

We've been lucky to have Lister in Boston: as Salome some time ago and next season for Rusalka.

Marietta Simpson is a wonderful artist. I'm glad she's getting Porgy gigs, (I've heard her in it twice) but would love to see her cast more regularly in other material as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm even considering to cross the ocean for Schrott in Don Giovanni. His Leporello at Covent Garden was excellent.

N.